Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to Elm Street Vintage, my new blog and summer project. I'm Mary, I live in New England and have had a love of vintage objects, architecture, books--you name it, if it's vintage I love it--all my life. I think the roots of my vintage obsession go back to the hours I spent exploring my grandmother's basement, which was full of old family treasures and books.

So now I'm a grown up middle aged girl who is still entranced by the magic world of vintage. Over the years--in between raising a family, getting a bunch of degrees and holding a full time day job--I've had a space in an antique co-op, and later owned a small shabby chic vintage furnishing/accessories shop. My latest passion is running an on-line Etsy vintage shop, called Elm Street Vintage http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7359613. The name comes from my love of everyday vintage.

In my hometown, Elm Street was the main shopping venue, graced with wide sidewalks and awnings outside every shop. I remember the demure women's dress shops, the classic men's clothier, J.J. Newberry's 5&10 (with the great lunch counter), the stationery store, millinery, shoe stores, smoke shops and more. This is where people came every day, to get the items they needed for their every day lives. While most of the buildings still stand, they're pretty much empty now.

When I travel, I love to seek out the Elm Streets of this country. And my second passion, next to vintage, is photography. When I'm lucky, I can find a spot that has been more or less untouched by time. I love to capture these spots on film. This blog is inspired by these spots, as seen in the photo I took and used for the blog header. We traveled miles out of our way to find this fantastic old candy shop/soda fountain. Walking through the door was like stepping back in time. I've more great photos and some details that I'll share in my next post.

This blog will feature spots like this that I find tucked away in the middle of nowhere, or vintage treasures I've found in my travels, along with some of the everyday stuff of my life. Hope you enjoy the journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment