Friday, July 24, 2009

Trailer Trash




On the way to dropping my daughter off at camp this morning, I passed a yard sale. "There's a yard sale", my nine year old said. "I guess you'll want to stop on your way back."

So, of course, I did. Amongst other treasures, I came across a box marked "cabinet hardware". Knobs, backplates, hinges, etc. There was something unusual yet highly appealing about this hardware so I grabbed the box added it to my stash and headed to pay.

"Do you know anything about this hardware?", I asked the person collecting money. "Well, not much", she said. "It came out of my son's trailer. He's remodeling". Oooooh, I thought. Cabinet hardware from a trailer? "It's pretty old", she added, "the trailer was probably from the 50's or so. That's why it's so cheap". 50's trailer??? Music to my ears.

This stuff is so cool. Definite 50's design: streamlined, almost sputnik. Looks like something that belongs in an automobile rather than a kitchen. Well, that would make sense for a trailer, wouldn't it? I'm going tosort it out and list some on my Etsy site. If someone cleans this stuff up it would be gorgeous. Or perhaps can upcycle it into something else or use it for altered art.


One of my favorite movies is "The Long, Long Trailer" featuring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. They're not Ricky and Lucy Ricardo, but are instead are a newlywed couple traveling the country and living in a trailer. Lucy, being Lucy, develops a fondness for collecting rocks along the way. Hubby isn't too happy about this collection, so she starts hiding the increasingly larger and larger boulders in the cabinets around the trailer. Well, you can figure out what happens with that.
Kind of reminds me when my DH opens the trunk of my car after I've had a spectacularly great haul thrifting or yard saleing . . . I have a lot of 'splaining to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment