Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bowlful of Cherries


I'm excited. I got featured in an Etsy Treasury. It was created by AngryKitty and it's called Very Cherry--a collection of cherry inspired vintage items. The vintage "Child with Cherry" print belongs to me. Check it out! http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=62323


I had to chuckle when I saw that my shop was featured in the "Very Cherry" Treasury, because we just returned from a vacation that included driving up the coast of Lake Michigan. Unbeknownst to me when we first planned this trip was that the Grand Traverse County of Michigan is like the Cherry Capitol of the US. And we arrived right in the midst of harvest season, so it was just an amazing cherryfest. You couldn't drive a quarter mile without coming upon a sign for "fresh washed sweet cherries". Of course, we had to stop. We spent seven hours in the car nibbling on juicy, sweet, fresh picked cherries. Beats Metamucil any day.



We also indulged ourselves with a visit to a wonderful little tourist trap, "The Cherry Hut". It's a restaurant in Beulah, Michigan that's been around since the 1920s and is reported to have the best cherry pie anywhere. I looooove cherry pie, so this was a mandatory stop.



The building itself was a bit disappointing, no original charm or character, having been remodeled numerous times to efficiently handle the big crowds the place attracts. But the food was excellent--hand sliced roasted turkey sandwiches for the less adventurous and cherry hamburgers, cherry hot dogs, or cherry chicken salad for the serious cherryphiles. And the cherry pie----heavenly. It was so good, in fact, that we bought an additional full pie to take with us. That got a little tricky when we got to Mackinac Island where arrival is by ferry and only horses and bikes are allowed on the island. But we carefully guarded out brown paper sack containing the coveted pie and enjoyed a piece every night of our stay.

4 comments:

  1. congrats on being featured in a treasury i had my first feature a few months ago its a great feeling!
    ps that pie looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Venetia. The pie was too delicious. BTW, I LOVE your blog--I'm
    following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pics look great! I am glad you figured it out.

    <3
    susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the treasury and I love the vintage print!...there's nothing quite like good cherries, this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete